SheSpark may receive a commission if you make a purchase using links in this post.
by Thea Wood, feature photo by Frank Guthrie
You may know that Dita Von Teese is considered the international queen of the burlesque scene. You may have seen the dramatically gothic wedding pictures from her brief (but much talked about) marriage to rocker Marilyn Manson. And the man sitting in the office next to you knows her pinups— even if he won’t admit it.
But what you may not know is that that the cult-like celebrity is 44 years old and shows no signs of slowing down in a business that can be critical of women as they age. DVT is starting her new burlesque show tour “The Art Of The Teese” in July, but that’s just one aspect of her alluring empire. DVT is also a fearless entrepreneur and four-time author who deserves accolades for reviving an art form that almost faded into the dusty annals of a bygone era. She works it #LikeABoss and we love her for it.
We asked DVT for details that many women may not know about her accomplishments through the years. Here’s what we found out:
1. Started creating first burlesque shows in 1992.
2. Launched the first ever vintage pinup website in the world.
3. Produces the biggest touring burlesque show in the world.
4. Owns an international lingerie brand available at:
myer.com in Australia
Figleaves.com in the UK.
5. Penned the New York Times best-selling book Your Beauty Mark, The Ultimate Guide to Eccentric Glamour .
6. Walked fashion runways for Jean Paul Gaultier, Moschino, and Giambattista Valli.
7. Appeared as the first-ever guest star in the history of the famed Crazy Horse Paris, a landmark in France since 1951.
8. Cinches her waist to 18” with a corset.
9. Has a stocking line with seamed stockings made on the last remaining authentic machines from the 1950s.
10. Cherishes her cat Aleister Von Teese, who has over 89,000 followers and was named one of the world’s most influential cats.
If you’d learn more about Dita Von Teese, visit http://www.dita.net